Jacaranda regularly reproduces unique designs proposed by our customers, and adapts Jacaranda’s stock designs made-to-measure to custom colour schemes. These designs may be hand-tufted or hand-knotted from wool, silk and TENCELTM.
All our factories are registered with GoodWeave, a wonderful not for profit organisation dedicated to ending child and tied labour in the rug industry. To use the GoodWeave label our factories have to follow GoodWeave’s code of conduct and make themselves available for independent, random inspections.
Smart, tough, contract rated carpets and rugs are created by skilled operatives using handheld ‘tufters’ to punch New Zealand wool, silk or TENCEL™ tufts through a coton mesh with the design printed on it. All hand-tufted floorcoverings are backed with secondary coton backing and stain treated with Fiber ProTectorTM.
Our Tibetan weavers create every individual knot by hand using Chinese silk, and traditional Tibetan or New Zealand wool. As shown in our video, they sit side-by-side at fixed looms, each weaver making individual knots over metal rods, which are then cut free to create the pile. The weavers count knots as they go, following by eye a graph fixed above them. It is very skilled work. They must all knot at the same tension and pace, creating on average just 10cms per day of beautiful, high quality heirloom which has the structure and density to withstand many years of use.
Everyone who orders these hand-crafted works of art will receive a photograph of their rug taking shape on the loom.
How to order
At its simplest, please view the Himalayan hand-knotted rugs that Jacaranda holds in stock sized 200x300cm or 250x350cm. These can be ordered for immediate delivery.
All bespoke commissions are co-ordinated by Jacaranda’s in-house design team using the following:
- Unique from the customer or an adaption of Jacaranda’s
- Chosen from Chromatone™ poms or matched to textiles, paint samples or wallpaper
- Please note that rug sizes may vary by up to 5%. We recommend only hand-tufted rugs for inset locations which should be ordered over-size and cut in on site
- To help customers refine their design, our samples show the different qualities, knot counts, yarns and carving options
- CAD drawings. Created by Jacaranda for customer approval. Yarn approval may be needed for non-Chromatone™ colors
- Strike Offs. 27 x 27cm samples are necessary for all commissions that are not a complete copy of a Jacaranda design. These take 4 weeks, are chargeable but refundable with order
- Production normally takes:
- 12 – 14 weeks for hand-tufted carpets or rugs
- 14 – 18 weeks for Himalayan hand-knotted rugs
- Very large or intricate commissions, or deliveries outside the UK may take longer