Caring for 100% wool
Caring correctly for any carpet or rug is the key to it looking beautiful for many years.
When your Jacaranda carpet is first fitted, please vacuum it frequently. Some fiber loss or ‘shedding’ is normal for new carpets, it does not affect appearance or performance and soon stops with frequent vacuuming.
Please continue to vacuum regularly throughout the life of your carpet to keep it looking clean and beautiful. For best results on carpets with:
- Cut pile, use an upright model with any beater bars turned off for regular cleaning, they can be turned on to lift pile that may have flattened in high traffic areas
- Loops in the pile, use a cylinder vacuum with a smooth nozzle and no beater bar
To lengthen life:
- Place barrier mats at entrances but clean them often
- Use castor mats under all castor chairs
- Add furniture cups under the legs of furniture
- Lay non-slip underlay under all rugs
- Rotate rugs regularly to spread wear
Spills and stains
Most carpets, like fabrics, will stain from spills of everyday liquids like coffee or red wine. To minimize damage when you spot a problem, act fast to:
- Pick up any solids using a spoon or blunt knife
- Blot up liquid gently with plain, white, absorbent paper such as kitchen towel
- Keep blotting gently, change paper regularly until it comes back dry
- Never rub or scrub which can ‘burst’ the pile surface causing permanent damage
- Avoid home cleaning chemicals which may set the stain, damage the pile, or leave a sticky residue prone to re-soiling
If the stain remains the safest choice is to call in a professional carpet cleaner. If you wish to tackle the stain yourself, https://www.woolsafe.org/stain-wizard/ gives useful step-by-step advice for each stain type.
Professional cleaning and stain proofing
When your carpet needs a proper clean, you should contact a reputable professional and take their advice as to the best method. For your guidance they should recommend dry cleaning or hot water wet extraction, but never steam cleaning. Wool floorcoverings must be re-proofed against carpet moth after every deep clean.
Stain proofing treatments won’t make carpets invincible, prompt removal of spills is still key, but treatments should buy time and make stains easier for professionals to remove. It is normal for new wool carpets to ‘shed’ some fibers where footfall is heaviest, sometimes leading to uneven protection. Stain treatments should always be applied by professionals. Stain protection should be reapplied after every deep clean.