Caring for TENCEL™ & viscose
Caring correctly for any carpet or rug is the key to it looking beautiful for many years.
When your Jacaranda carpet is first fitted, please vacuum it frequently. Some fiber loss or ‘shedding’ is normal for new carpets, it does not affect appearance or performance and soon stops with frequent vacuuming.
Please continue to vacuum regularly throughout the life of your floorcovering. Vacuum carpets or rugs with the beater bar turned off, beater bars can be activated occasionally on velvets to lift flattened pile.
To lengthen life:
- Place barrier mats by doors but clean them often
- Use castor mats under all castor chairs
- Add furniture cups under the legs of furniture
- Lay non-slip underlay under all rugs
- Rotate rugs regularly to spread wear
- Buy a Jacaranda Emergency Spot Cleaning Kit in case of accidents
Spills and stains
Most floorcoverings, like fabrics, will stain from spills of everyday liquids like coffee or red wine. To minimise damage, we suggest you purchase a Jacaranda Emergency Spot Cleaning Kit to have on hand. When you spot a problem, act fast to:
- Pick up any solids using a spoon or blunt knife
- Blot up liquid gently with plain, white, absorbent paper such as kitchen towel
- Keep blotting gently, change paper regularly until it comes back dry
- Never rub or scrub which can ‘burst’ the pile surface causing permanent damage
- Do not add water
- Avoid home cleaning chemicals which may set the stain, damage the pile, or leave a sticky residue prone to re-soiling
- If the stain remains the safest choice is to call in a professional carpet cleaner.
Professional cleaning and stain proofing
When your carpet needs a proper clean, you should contact a reputable professional and take their advice as to the best method. Please click here for Jacaranda’s recommended professional cleaners. For your guidance they should recommend dry extraction. Cold wet extraction cleaning is possible for stubborn stains on TENCEL™, silk and viscose but specialist knowledge is essential.
Stain proofing treatments won’t make carpets invincible, prompt removal of spills is still key, but treatments should buy time and make stains easier for professionals to remove. Stain treatments should always be applied by professionals. Application of stain proofing chemicals on TENCEL™, silk and viscose requires specialist expertise. For your guidance, water based protectors need to be applied in several light layers for optimum protection, solvent based protectors can be easier to apply however please ensure good ventilation to the area. Stain protection should be reapplied after every deep clean.